Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beware of the Royals



June 28 Day 19
Today I hung around the Pretoria hotel, the adjacent Sunnyside Mall, worked on my computer, packed, and prepared to return home. On the way to JNB Airprort I stopped in Sandton and had dinner with Stana and Angelo in Nelson Mandela square, part of the huge Sandton Mall complex.
Even considering the Monday, the area was far more subdued than when the World Cup was in full swing with 32 teams. By today, 20 had lost and were heading home, with most fans following. I guess one could say the same about me, after the USA's flop last Saturday.
Following goodbyes with Angelo and Stana, who have truly made my South Africa experience immeasurably better, Angelo showed me a new way to JNB. I arrived at 9:55 pm, two hours before flight time. However, the car rental return that would take two minutes in the USA took about 20, mainly because there was no First Car representative in the return area when I drove in. In any event, overall First Car was an excellent find.
After finally completing the return, with a cart I hauled my stuff a long way to the KLM check-in counter, a combined operation with Air France. I arrived more than 90 minutes before flight time. I was one of the last passengers on one of the last flights out. I did see several departing passengers carrying vuvuzuelas, as they are difficult to pack (unless you buy as Brian did for Sadie, a tw0-piece). Also notable was the last departing die-hard among the many thousands of Mexico fans, who hung his Mexican flag as he was checking in. Yes, the party was over, but Mexican fan spirit lives!
The other boarding passengers on my flight melted away and, except for a few stand-bys, I was left alone with the counter agent. After many minutes, I received the bad news: I was officially bumped. I protested I had purchased my ticket in January (at a premium World Cup price), I obtained had a seat assignment in March, I was less than 5000 miles away from a Sky Team million miles flown, and who else had attended every men's and women's World Cup since 1999?
"What about business and first class?"
"Fully booked, sir. All I can do is put you on the next flight."
"Twenty-four hours from now?"
"Yes."
At first there was no mention of putting me up in a hotel, so I do not know whether they would have voluntarily mentioned that subject or not. They did hand me a voucher worth about $400, of course for air travel only. I had three airline employees accompanying me to the City Lodge hotel, which is connected to the airport terminal. They tried to be nice, but they knew I was steaming. Their boss will hear from me. I am not accepting bumping people from an international flight all the way to the USA.
Fortunately the City Lodge is a very nice hotel. They even have CNN! The Internet system is the best I experienced in South Africa, though the World Cup price was about $3.50 per hour.
I noted that, as before, the TV was mounted to the wall, not resting on furniture, and there was no mini-bar, as I have seen everywhere else I have been in the world. I suspect the reason is that all the aforementioned items would likely be stolen in South Africa.
Ironically my room overlooked the Gautrain tracks. My South African World Cup life would have been so much easier had the Gautrain system been completed for the World Cup, as intended.
I finally fell asleep after 1:00am, with the next day fully dedicated to wandering around JNB. I should have known: KLM Royal Dutch Airlines/Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace. I felt royally screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment