Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reflections From Home



June 30 Day 21
For any aircraft, the gargantuan A380 landed quite smoothly at Paris CDG. Back in the northern hemisphere, the sun was bright shortly after 6:30 am, yet another clear, bright day on this trip. Well, that would be expected: every trip's return home day is sunny.
I had about 3-1/2 hours layover until the Air France 10:30 am flight to Washington. Nice upgrade work has been done at CDG. The original airport was small, strange and cramped. The new terminal I saw was large, pleasant and well-lit. However, there is a touch of old CDG--the only restroom I could find was inexplicably minuscule. The French air passengers have no need for the bathroom?
Security is tight. On boarding, I was designated for carry-on search and a hand metal-detector check, all thorough. Perhaps I was chosen because I was coming from Africa. There did not seem to be much reason for the random search selection. None I saw looked threatening in the least.
Indeed related to security, the plane departed about an hour late. The pilot alleged that USA Homeland Security delayed the flight for security purposes, perhaps a background check on certain passengers. Fine with me--I have no desire for the need to jump on some crazy fool trying to bring down the plane.
In flight, yet again, I was in a strange seat, the head of an extra row. All other Boeing 777's I have seen are 2-5-2; this one was 3-4-3. In my seat location, I had neither the bulkhead nor a seat in front of me. I guess that is what the bumped passengers get. Again, the aisles were very narrow.
Air France food is reasonably good. The service is decent as well, but the flight attendants could use training at Korean Air. The man sitting in my row's window seat had ordered a vegetarian meal. However, his special meal had not been loaded. The man showed a paper with "vegetarian" highlighted, but the young male flight attendant was unapologetic, citing no such indication on the boarding pass and suggesting that the man had not properly requested the special meal on "the website." I wondered why Air France could not load a few extra vegetarian meals, which, if not otherwise consumed among willing passengers, could be crew meals.
Nonetheless, the flight proceeded without incident to Dulles, though the hour late. Well, we got there. Of course the arrival weather at the trip's conclusion was most pleasant.
The USA seemed so serene. I walked out and took a taxi with no concern that the driver was a stranger. I did not give a thought about mistakenly ending up in an undesirable area. Cars drove on the right side, which seemed a bit odd after 2-1/2 weeks in a left-side environment.
Despite its international crime infamy, South Africa is quite manageable for foreigners. Common sense carries the visitor a long way: stay out of unfamiliar, potentially dangerous areas, be more careful at night, do not advertise valuables and lock doors. The truth is, outside the blighted downtown areas of Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban, the country is relatively safe, and most pleasant. Sure, incidents happen, but rarely overall. Good judgement is a highly effective crime defense.
One questions when South Africa can overcome large segments of desperate poverty, significant street crime and rampant fraudulent activity. I hear South Africa is the most advanced African country, which really makes one wonder about the rest of Africa. Indeed South Africa in many respects is a modern country. However, the evident social problems, which open-door refugee policies have magnified, are a clear brake on progress.
Still, the prospects of an advanced, western-style nation are evident. As South Africa is closer to that goal than the rest of Africa, therein lies a tremendous opportunity for South Africa to be a continental gateway. In my view, more than anything, South Africa needs what all of Africa urgently needs: effective leadership. In my understanding, the unfortunate reality is that rampant official corruption is seriously retarding South Africa, while that reality is even worse elsewhere on the continent.
Interestingly, while corruption is a clear problem, I saw virtually no signs of racial disharmony. More than 15 years after apartheid ended, the 10% white minority seems to accept its minority role, and the African majority does not exhibit, at least to an outsider, hostility to whites. Hopefully, the African majority can recognize that persons of European descent have international commercial ties and a business culture, dating back centuries, which can benefit all of South Africa.
Whether European or African descent, I have found the South African people most warm and friendly. I felt welcome everywhere. I am convinced these traits are not a World Cup act.
Indeed, the billions of dollars South Africa invested in the World Cup will, in my opinion, pay dividends for the nation and the continent, as well. The hundreds of thousands of visitors and the millions and millions tuning in to those wonderful, wonderful globally-centered games, have learned that Africa is a place where people can indeed succeed and prosper. The world's eyes have been opened significantly, in my view. The coming decades will prove whether or not I am right.
Yes, I want to return to South Africa one day, when the World Cup does not dominate my existence. The trip was the most hectic and physically challenging I have ever attempted. In 16 days on South African soil, I saw 11 games at six different stadiums, plus I spent two days each in the Kruger National Park region and the captivating Cape Town area.
I have done everything wrong: too little sleep, constant travel, irregular and often poor meals. However, I survived, even fighting off with Zucol, emerging cold symptoms and deep chest congestion. Still, I know I will need several recovery days.
No one should think that such hardship will overcome my World Cup spirit, nor will the likely continued intransigence of the older European men who run FIFA. In summer 2011, we have Copa America in Argentina, and then the Women's World Cup in Germany. Euro 2012 will be in Poland which I have long wanted to visit, plus the Ukraine. Planning for World Cup 2014 in Brazil has already begun.
I have learned Brazil will have 12 venues, more than FIFA's recommended 8 - 10. The reason, I hear, is Brazil is so large. Huh? That logic seems backward to me. Typically, a high speed rail line was planned for completion by 2014, between Rio and Sao Paulo. However, the bidding process is not even complete; no way the line will be ready. Where have we heard this one before?
No matter...next time, in Brazil!! Next time, may all be free of FIFA Foolishness!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the blog. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bro. I really enjoyed all the hours I spent making the blog.

    ReplyDelete